Google+ Hangouts has been enabled for all St. Joseph’s College Students, Faculty and Staff.
Hangouts let users connect and communicate with colleagues in multi-user video rooms (maximum 15 people). Users might use Hangouts to hold a business meeting, discuss a particular “hot topic” or pressing issue, or just have a multi-user video chat. Hangouts let you share your computer screen so other people in the hangout can see what’s on your screen. You can choose to share any open window on your computer. You can also share Google Drive files and collaborate to write meeting notes or draw on a shared whiteboard.
In addition, Google+ Hangouts are integrated with Google Calendar. Users can add hangouts to their calendar events and join hangouts directly from the calendar event or event reminder.
To use Hangouts, you will need the following:
• A webcam attached to your computer or a mobile device with camera
• The Hangout Plug-in Installed https://tools.google.com/dlpage/hangoutplugin
• A Google+ Profile
Creating a Google+ Profile
• Within Gmail, click on your name located in the upper right corner of the screen then click the blue Join Google+ button.
• Your name is displayed. Enter your gender and birth date.
• Click on the Upgrade button found on the lower right.
• Click the Continue button to move past the “Add people you know” step.
• Click the Continue button to move past the “Follow things you love” step.
• Click the Continue anyway button to move to the next step in setting up the profile.
• Optional: If you already have a picture attached to your SJC Google account, you will see it. If not, you can upload one or use your web cam to take a picture.
• Optional: Fill in the other profile details.
• Click the Finish button in the bottom right hand corner.
• Click past any informational pop-ups that may appear.
You may see a warning on the right hand side indicating that Hangouts is not available for your account. Ignore that message. You can click the blue “Start a video call” button or join the Hangout from a calendar invite/appointment.
Starting a Hangout
For information on how to create a hangout or how to use hangouts on a mobile device, please click here.